Introduction to pharmaceutical legislation in India
Hii Visitors!! Pharmaceutical legislation in India the rules and laws formed to regulate the all aspects of our social life. The pharmaceurtical legislation is the mixed type of legislation. It covers both the social and economical aspect of the society . The main purpose of the pharmaceutical legislation is to ensecure that the drug recived by the patient are of good quality and are tasted and evaluated for safety as well as efficacy for their intended use. The pharmaceutical legislation is concerend with the health of the society.
1. Initally The first chemist shop in 1811 by MR.Bathgate who entered into India along with the east India company in Calcutta(after 100 yr the started the manufacture of tincture and spirint).They started manufacturing in year 1910.
2.The second firm/apothecary shop by smith Stainstreet and also co. established in year 1821. The manufacture started in year 1918.
3. A small factory in year 1901 established The name of the founder Acharya Praffula Chandra Ray at Calcutta by the name of Bengal chemical and pharmaceutical works.
4. 1903 a factory at Parel established by prof.t.k Gajjar.
factory were not able to fulfill the need of the Indian public due to this the drugs exported from UK,Germany and France to fulfill the needs of the people. Due to the world war the cheaper drugs imported in India.Which increased the demand for the drugs.The unhealty competition grew and the Indian market flooded with this issues. Hence the public made government to take notice of such situations of drugs trade and industry and to thought of introducing the effective legislation to control the the profession of pharmacy. So to have a comprehensive legislation, the Indian government appointed a “Drug Enquiry Committee” under the chairmanship of Col.R.N.Chopra in 1931. Hence Called as the Chopra committee
The recommendations of drug enquiry committee:-
- Formation of the Central Pharmacy Council and also state pharmacy council.
- Creation of drug control machinary (DCM)
- Establishment of the well equipped central drug laboratory and also the state drug laboratory.(CDL)(SDL)
Due to second world war intorduction of legislation delayed, the people pressurised government. In 1937 the import of drug bill produced.
The present drug and cosmatic act is an updated version of the drug act ,1940. The main objective behind this act was to manage the import, manufacture, distribution, distribution, sale of medicine also cosmatics in India
Other pharmaceutical legislation amended time to time:-
- Pharmacy act 1948:-to regulate profession of pharmacy
- Drug and magic remedies act 1954:- to ban certain sorts of advertisment releted to magic remedies.
- Medical and toilet preparation act, 1955:-for the preparation of medical and also the toilet.
- Drug control order 1987:- to regulate the costs over the drugs.
- Narcotic and psychotropic substance act, 1985:-To amend laws concerning narcotic drug and also psychotropic drug.
- Prevention of food Adulteration act,1954 and rules.
- The Industries (Development and Regulations) Act, 1951.
- The Industrial Employment (Standing order) Act 1946 and rules. Also Industrial Dispute Act, 1947.
- Factory Act, 1948
- The Indian Patent and style Act 1970.
- The Trade and Merchandise Mark, 1958.
- The infectious disease Act, 1897.
- Shops and Establishment acts of respective states source
Hope so the above mentioned information is helpful for our visitors to gets exactly what is pharmaceutical legislation of the india is? You can also suggest us tpoic for our next post in the comment box. If its your first time on the website allow us to send you notification to get regular updates.
Something Wrong Please Contact to Davsy Admin